Copyright © 2016 by Kendall Callas. All rights
Thirty thousand years ago, we battled Neanderthal for
dominance of the Earth now they want it back!
I just wanted to fall in love! But for Joe, forbidden love comes at a high cost.
Caught between love and loyalty, this heart-twisting story of modern romance and
ancient conflict explores a moment of crisis in a young mans life make that a
young Neanderthals life as we learn the depths of a secret society that
has lived for millennia hidden within our own.
Yes, Neanderthals survived extinction. And they continue the First War, secretly
battling to cleanse the planet of Homo sapiens with guerrilla offensives such as
the 1918 flu epidemic and AIDS, heroes like Jack the Ripper and Vlad the Impaler.
From the isolated community where Neanderthals have dodged the Homo sapiens
invasions, Joe and Adam have been sent off to college in the San Francisco Bay Area to gather
technology for the Neanderthal nations final revenge.
They plan to scorch Homo sapiens from the surface of the Earth with ‘dirty' bombs
a genocide that will restore Neanderthal to their former position of
dominance on Earth.
First love is so potent, especially when forbidden.
Young Joe's loyalties twist when he falls for Mary at UC Berkeley. She's studying genetics, he's
researching the ultimate weapon for the final battle in an ancient war.
After graduating high school, math whiz and gymnast, Joe follows in his dead father's footsteps,
volunteering for an undercover mission that might decide the war. Joe's rivalry with Adam, his
childhood best friend, mixes with the comic results of culture clash and the challenges of hair
management. Joe struggles with duty vs. love, finally bonding with Mary to create a surprising,
peaceful solution to unite the two species and end the war. Ironically, Joe must first kill Adam in a
Neanderthal features strong locations in the San Francisco Bay Area, including SFO, the Golden
Gate Bridge, the historical gun emplacements at its north end (Battery Wagner), the fishing pier
Fort Baker, the UC Berkeley campus and the Campanile, and well-known San Francisco locations
such as Fort Point, Coit Tower, Chinatown, Telegraph Hill, and Baker Beach
The story is rich with archetypal images. A handprint tattoo marks the chest of each Neanderthal
male as a symbol of identity, loyalty and community. 'Fireweaving', a Neanderthal meditational
tool combines flames with cave art. Ancient cave drawings compare interestingly to the graffiti of
the old fort where they duel below the Golden Gate Bridge (Battery Wagner).
- In 30,000 B.C., against a stunning Cappadocia (Turkey) backdrop, two Homo sapiens
Neanderthal couple. The male Neanderthal lives long enough to watch them eat her brains. His
anguished face sheds tears and blood on a hand print tattoo on his left pectoral.
- Present day: Mary and Joe cavort in bed, in love. Mary showers while Joe fireweaves
flames and images from the past. Joe bears a hand print tattoo on his chest.
- FLASHBACK: Joe graduates from high school to find out about his mission
undercover. Joe's father, an army Major, died on a commando raid when Joe was very
- Joe joins Adam at UC Berkeley, two young Neanderthals on a secret mission. Joe's VO:
soldiers, still fighting the first war, begun 30,000 years ago."
- At the bookstore, they meet the lovely Mary. Joe juggles her spilled books and falls for her
on the spot. Joe
and Adam ogle 'sape' chicks and SNIFF them.
- Adam allows Joe to experience 'sape' pheromones, then gives him pills to counter the
effect. Reminds Joe
of a childhood image: Ulysses Hears the Sirens.
- Adam tells Joe, take the pills "or your brow ridges will grow back."
- Joe and Adam visit Coit Tower. Joe is claustrophobic in elevator. Looking over San
Francisco, Adam says
"This will be ours soon. And every building will still be standing. That's the beauty of the 'dirty
- Joe sits with Mary in 'Pre-History for Poets' class, sketches a rose for her. Instructor
begins class: "We will
learn about the roots of man and discuss the eternal question: What does it mean to be
Does everyone have a syllabus?"
- Joe and Adam fireweave with a bonfire at an old fort under the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Pre-History lecture #2 tells history of hominid evolution and the Homo sapiens migration
out of Africa.
- At the campus pub, two Neanderthals get drunk on beer Mary rejects Adam and
with Joe. Joe
pukes and blames 'sape' treachery.
- At the gym, Joe beats Adam in a Neanderthal game leaping high to catch a feather
- Mary grieves with her mother over the phone. "I miss Dad, too." She speaks of a career in
- Isolated, lonely, Joe sees a TV lighting up a store window. The image of a nuclear
darkens Joe's expression.
- Joe and Mary talk about having lost their fathers.
- Adam and Joe sharpen a Hak Ba knife, admiring Neanderthal war heroes, thirsty for blood:
Jack the Ripper,
Stalin, Eichmann. Adam recalls an engraving: Vlad the Impaler killing 40,000. The Neanderthal
25 million 'sapes' with the 1918 flu epidemic ... 30 million with AIDS!" Joe: "I can't wait for my
- Mary paints Joe's portrait: "I can't wait for my mother to see this!" Mary glows when Joe
treasure it, years from now." Then they argue about war.
- Joe and Adam react emotionally to lecture about Neanderthal.
- Jogging at Fort Point, Mary confides to her friend: "I've finally met a real man!"
- In his dorm, Joe reads studiously - and turns the pages with his foot! "his big toe as
dextrous as a finger".
His screensaver shows 'Ulysses Hears the Sirens', and Vlad the Impaler at the 'Forest of the
- Adam is promiscuous, "probing the old crone's fable that we couldn't impregnate
- In the lab, Joe daydreams about Mary during a lecture about the half-life of
- Joe gets therapy via pay phone. He has 6 barbers! As the barber works "with the pomp and
precision of a
matador," Joe asks him about artificial insemination; the barber's mustache droops
- Mary invites Joe to an anti-war rally. They clash about war.
- In 'Gillie' camouflage suits, Joe and Adam conduct hi-tech surveillance on Diablo Canyon
Plant. Adam tells Joe their mission poisoning the world with 'dirty' bombs is the
battle. Adam: "Soon we'll live
free in a new 'taler' homeland!" Joe: "The apocalypse!"
- In the elevator, Mary kisses Joe. Joe and Mary unzip in her bedroom, semi-nude.
- Adam sees Joe with Mary on campus. Joe shows distance.
- Adam goes face to face with a snarling dog. Joe and Adam hunt for 'sapes'; they catch a
drunk. Joe refuses
his "first kill"; Adam does it. Joe pukes.
- Mary shaves Joe in an intimate bathroom scene. Mary's breasts bobble. Joe says 'I love
you' to Mary.
- Present day: Mary finishes her shower, practices writing "Mrs. Mary Carpenter" in
- Joe tells Mary he trusts her deeply, proposes marriage. She accepts; he tells her he's sterile.
genetic treatments and insists, "We'll get you tested."
- Mary takes Joe to the fertility clinic where she volunteers. She helps take a sperm
- Mary gets mad at Joe because he wouldn't allow testing of his sperm. Joe says
"Neanderthal" and Mary,
incensed, kicks him out. He goes to car, resists the pills, calls Adam.
- Joe tells Adam he loves Mary, a 'sape'. Adam reminds Joe of the war, warns him.
- In a flashback inside Mt. St. Helens, an army Major leads a commando raid - to blow up
the volcano! A
mistake by the Elder's son causes a premature detonation - the volcano blows, all die!
- The Elder answers a telephone call from Adam about Joe, orders Adam to use his Hak Ba
- Flashback to a primitive ritual in a cave 10 years ago. Adam and Joe are bloodpaired with
- Joe speeds across the Golden Gate Bridge, "What kind of man am I? ... What would you
do, Dad?" He
tosses the pills off a fishing pier.
- Dream sequence: Bombs in sky ... Mary disintegrates in 'dirty' rain on the beach.
- Joe returns to Mary, tells her "I am Neanderthal". Mary retches in sink. "I love a
- Hot water fogs the mirror to reveal "Mrs. Mary Carpenter" she had written after
- Joe and Mary fireweave images of primitive war, the ancient Homo Sapiens
into Eurasia. "Our
nation collapsed as your people flooded out of Africa to invade our lands."
- Joe steals a car for their escape, but is ambushed by a Neanderthal agent secreted in the
- Drugged, Joe is taken to a Neanderthal cave and interrogated by the Elder.
- Joe successfully lies to the Elder about genetic experiments with Mary and 'test tube baby'.
Joe is released.
- In the 'crystal cathedral,' the Elder tells Joe of the volcano explosion, how his father died a
of Joe's dad, Elder's son, eruption. Elder gives Joe his Hak Ba "I know the volcano took
Follow your flame."
- They drive to class on Adam's motorcycle. Adam's leather jacket is emblazoned, "Rulers of
- Joe and Adam argue about the war and Mary. Joe: "It's time for us to stop hiding and give
up the old ways!
... I won't fight in a war that will destroy the planet!"
- Adam challenges Joe. In a primitive duel, Adam uses his Hak Ba knife to stab Joe. They
stagger through an intimate death scene. In a surprise reversal, Joe uses his athletic body to
fiercely stab and kill Adam.
- To evade surveillance, Joe, wounded, scales an exterior wall to rejoin Mary, then
- They disguise themselves and borrow a car, but are observed as they drive away by a
hidden Neanderthal agent.
- Driving to airport, Joe tells Mary he wants to create hybrid species as alternative to the
- At SFO, Joe and Mary cleverly avoid satellite surveillance.
- Elder directs an ambulance to Battery Wagner to pickup Adam's body before any doctors
- As a ruse, Mary buys two tickets to NY City with a charge card. Joe gives them to
homeless man with dog.
- Cops find the car empty and seal off the airport.
- Joe and Mary get on Marin Airporter bus and leave the airport in the nick of time, heading
- Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, their bus is passed by flashing ambulance lights and
buzzed by a helicopter.
- Back at the boarding gate, the homeless man, carrying his cute dog, boards the flight. Six
men in blue point
guns to stop them. He cries: "Don't shoot! She's got a ticket!" The dog barks pertly.
In tense moments crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, their bus is passed by the flashing lights of an
ambulance and buzzed by a helicopter towing a searchlight. Fingers of light probe the bus in a
creepy scene inspired by F.W. Murnau.
Mid-bridge, Joe is exhausted by fear and agitated by withdrawal from the meds. He hits a low
and apologizes to Mary for getting her involved – and jumps out the window of the moving bus
into roaring traffic.
Mary threatens the driver to stop the bus. She jumps into traffic to follow Joe. Joe adeptly lopes
across 6 lanes of cars driving 45 MPH, neatly dodging commute traffic. But Mary is quickly on
her knees in harm's way as traffic implodes atop the Golden Gate Bridge. Joe leaps across roaring
traffic using cars as stepping stones to heroically save Mary from an oncoming truck.
Finally cuddling in the bed of a truck headed north, Joe apologizes and promises never to leave
her again. "Our baby could unite the species! If we have a boy... let's name him Adam."
- The Marin Airporter bus disappears through Rainbow Arch entrance to the roadway tunnel
north through the mountain. The sunrise spreads its wings over the blinking lights of the Golden
The last scene reveals the daring compromise Joe seeks with Mary's help to end the war.